Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Home Sweet Home!

Hello all!
It's hard to believe we're home with Scott and all is well, but it's true. I apologize for not being more prompt in my posting, but the adjustment to this new life has been something else. To top it off, my first attempts at adjusting a car seat led to a painful bending back of my right thumb nail. It was so bad, the darn thing bled and throbbed for two days. I couldn't write or type with it, so thus the delay.

Let's see - where to begin. I won't give you all of the details of the trip to get him. Dave and I became zombie people with little sleep in no time. Overall - there were no problems in the trip there or getting to Niznhny Novgorad. We met up with another woman and her friend who were travelling to pick up her son. For the sake of privacy, I'll refer to them as F and M - F is the new Mom - and she's a single woman who has a gorgeous new son in her life. M is someone who had used our agency twice before with her husband and they have two gorgeous kids. I asked her if she was going for a trip merit badge - she's got to have a record at making this trip a total of 5 times! It was so great to have an experienced mom with us because as you know, these small beings don't come with an instruction manual. For everyone who told me "trust your instincts" I thank you. You are so right about that! You can start to read his moods and gestures and you just know what he needs!

We did get a little sightseeing in that afternoon before boarding the train. We walked around Red Square and saw St. Basil's cathedral. It was a lovely afternoon and my eyes kept wandering to the families with children who were there. I kept thinking about Scott and how we would be with him that very next day. We then headed to the train station and off to NN. The agency folks got us where we needed to be and were so amazing on this trip!!

We were up early on Monday morning and ready to go. The judge has required all families to see the children once more before court, so we made the 3 hour round trip first thing Monday. We saw him for about 20 minutes and leaving him was almost as hard as it was the first trip. I got choked up, even though I knew I'd be back that day. I think there was a part of me that was afraid something would go wrong.

We got back to NN early and had some hot tea and blintzes before court. I can't post what happened in court because it's private and closed, but suffice it to say we had a happy ending. Dave and I held on to each other while the judge gave us custody of this beautiful baby boy. It was a dream come true. F had received custody in the hearing before ours, so we all went to lunch to celebrate. Then we piled into our respective cars and made the return trip to get our boys.

When we arrived in his town we were encouraged to take some photos of their new train station and the church associated with the hospital. We also took photos of the hospital's new wing. We then went in to pick him up. The doctor's were ready with information about his schedule, immunizations and took the clothes and diaper I brought to change him for the trip. Everyone was waiting to say goodbye to him and several of the caregivers were emotional. The one that touched me the most was the nurse who reached out and touched his little hand, whispered something and then left in tears. It was good to know that they loved him like that.

Even though it was about 50 degrees outside, we had him bundled for an artic winter. I carefully carried him down the stairs and outside, and I saw his eyes widen in fear as we walked outside. We settled quickly in the car and he kept a death grip on my index finger with one hand and another death grip on Dave's finger with the other hand. He seemed to like riding in the car though and we basically just held him and let him look at us and out the window.

When we got back to NN we settled in our hotel room briefly and packed up our stuff. We then went down to dinner where he and F's baby had a grand time giggling and playing. Scott was just having a ball! We went back to the room to wait for the time to leave for the night train. He drank his bottle with no problem and we got some great video of him playing and interacting with a mirror.

The night train to Moscow was rough. He kept waking up, but I had curled up around him to keep him on the sleeping bench. Dave took a turn too, so I could sleep a bit. About 3AM, Scott woke up in terror - just screaming. We comforted him and settled him back to sleep. All 3 of us zonked out from then until 6am. When we arrived in Moscow we were whisked off to the medical clinic and the trauma of having blood drawn. Poor baby. That was no fun for any of us. We had one more stop to drop off paperwork and then got to the hotel. Our room was ready (thank God!) and the three of us collapsed in bed for a nap. We all woke up much happier and ready for dinner. M, F and her son met us in the restaurant and they had some great high chairs for the boys. We had a really nice dinner and the babies were so good! We made it an early evening. Unfortunately Dave and I both had a bought of insomnia from 2AM to 4AM. We sprang for a half bottle of wine from the mini bar and talked quietly until we finally fell asleep.

The next day, we had an appointment at the Embassy at 1PM. We were able to relax and have a late breakfast. Scott likes to people watch, so he was good while we ate. We started to fall into a rhythm of anticipating his needs for food, diaper changes and naps and started calling him Travelling Scotty because he's really a good traveller. After the Embassy appointment, we went back to the hotel for a nap for him and packing for us. Another nice meal in the restaurant for dinner and then early to bed. We were again awake from 2AM to 4AM, but in my case it's because of an unfortunate stomach malady. Suffice it to say that the bathroom in the Marriott is very nice. I spent quite a bit of time there.

Thursday morning had us up and running for the airport. It's a big blurry day for me because my stomach acted up every now and then - although blessedly not on the long airplane ride. Moscow to Atlanta - 11 1/2 hours - Scott slept about 3 of those, but was really pretty good. He fussed a bit, but really didn't scream like I was afraid he would. He had a bottle with the take off and slept through the landing.

It's a great moment knowing that when we landed he became an American citizen. We went through INS and customs and again, as a zombie I don't remember too much. We then went to wait for the trip to St. Louis. Scott zonked out on Daddy's lap as soon as we settled in our seats and slept through the whole trip. My stomach went nuts again, and I was miserable the whole trip. Thankfully, it's only 90 minutes.

The agency folks met us at the airport and took us to the hotel where we collapsed. Our big bag didn't make it from Atlanta, so I was without my cosmetics or hair stuff. Thursday I didn't care, but on Friday I looked at myself in horror at one point. Yikes - talk about letting yourself go!

We took our baby home on Friday and it was so good to see that familiar place! Our cat Callie wasn't too sure about the baby and they are still eyeing each other like wary allies. They want to be friends, but they just aren't too sure. Callie has started rolling around near Scott and showing off her playing skills. He laughs and stares at her, but isn't ready to try touching her yet. That's probably good.

We had our first pediatrician visit Monday and a follow up today. Our son is healthy and only slightly behind where he should be. Thank God! He even managed to gain 11 ounces while we were travelling. He took off crawling around the house this morning with us and and he's going to be ready to walk soon. He hasn't turned up his nose at food either.

Everyone said life would change - and it has. The people who got it right were the ones who said it would change for the better. When I hold him and stare into those gorgeous eyes, I feel that all is right with the world. Even when he needs a bottle at 4AM, it's amazing to hold that warm little body and feel the love just filling me up. I didn't know it was possible to feel helpless and powerful at the same time until he grasps my hand. We're both feeling very protective and I find myself putting his needs above everything - which of course is the right thing to do.

Life has changed - but what a lovely new adventure this is! We've been blessed by God with this handsome, curious and wonderful baby boy. I just can't even describe how amazing that feels. Another fabulous moment - introducing him to two sets of doting grandparents. I can tell he's going to love them as much as they already love him! We had such fun over the weekend with grandparents and I can't wait to get together with them again soon.

Many thanks to the family and friends who have brought food and presents and generally doted on our boy. We had a wonderful visit with a group of close friends on Sunday afternoon, another fun time with some friends and their kids on Sunday night, and a super Halloween party last night. This boy likes his parties! We're going to have a quiet night tonight to catch up after all of this fun and those yucky immunization shots we had today. I hope to post again soon - barring any more unfortunate injuries. Watch out for those car seats!

Later!

10 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Oh it's so good to hear from you! So, how long exactly was your trip - it sounds like a whirlwind! When did you come home from Moscow to Atlanta?

It sounds like everything is going well with Scott - CONGRATULATIONS!

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Congratulations and welcome home! Those car seats are a killer. I'm just now able to get the kids strapped in without muttering and gnashing of teeth and we've been home about 5 weeks.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Lauren & Cupcake said...

I was wondeing when we would get the wonderful news that all 3 of you have arrived in America!!

Best Wishes!

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Congratz on making it home. Your trip sounds like it went well (except for you getting sick). Scott sounds like a wonderful baby. So glad you are all home and together.

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! We just arrived home with our baby girl from Russia last Tuesday night. I am just wondering if we were at the Embassy together last Monday the 23rd? Congratulations on your little guy! It will be fun! if you want to email me, it's schneider725@yahoo.com Take care, Kris

 
At 3:59 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Congratulations!! It is a life changing experience, but in a wonderful way.
They just grow so darn quickly too!
Laura

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't want to call as not sure of your schedules so have been checking your site for news. We are so excited that you are back with Scott. Looking forward to meeting him when things settle down for all of you. I'll hold him for you at mass! Call or e-mail if you need anything.

Linda M

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! Welcome to America Scott!!! And welcome to parenthood Dave and Anna!
So good to hear all went well and that you are safely home.
I can't wait to see all of you - let me know when I can drop by.
sarah k.

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for the both of you. I can't wait to see the little guy.

Rosie

 
At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope everything is going well. I am so excited for you and Dave. I can't wait to see the three of you together. Congrats and let me know if you need anything.

~Megan Mak

 

Post a Comment

<< Home