Monday, September 04, 2006

What a day!

We met our son for the first time today and we signed the papers to proceed with the adoption. I don't have much time because this is a public computer, so I'll keep the posting brief. We'll post photos later. When they brought him in the room, I was overwhelmed with emotion. They handed him to me and he settled in my arms and just stared. He has huge, beautiful eyes. The caretakers are all women and they told us that Dave and our translator were the first men he'd ever seen. He was fascinated and a little hesitant at first with Dave. He got over that quickly and was moving toward him at every opportunity. He can walk with support and this little guy has got a grip! He gets ahold of your fingers and just clenches his little fist. He's very small, but he has two teeth on top and two on the bottom. He smiled and laughed several times while we played with him, but he was a little tired. Apparently he has the start of a cold or something. Later when they were asking if we wanted to adopt him, they asked me what I thought. I responded that "I think I'm in love!" We both are. We got lots of photos and video and can't wait to share it with family and friends.

We have a son. And he's wonderful. We get to see him again tomorrow and then we begin the long journey home. Leaving him today was difficult, but tomorrow will be really tough. We have to leave him while the paperwork is finalized and then we'll be back to pick him when we receive our court date. Hopefully that will be very soon. Everyone here has been very professional and yet very warm and welcoming to us. It makes me look forward to returning to this lovely country very soon. Dave has commented and I agree that this area of Russia looks like our favorite parts of Minnesota. We feel right at home.

Got to run. Dave is giving me the "wrap" signal. Much love to all!!!!

9 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grand Parents Tina & Mike
Are both very joyful today and cannot wait to see Baby 'H'.
You are both in our Mass intentions and, of course, daily prayers for a safe and wonderful journey through this process.
All our love,
Mike & Tina

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Suz said...

Oh Anna, it is so good to hear this wonderful report! I can't wait to hear a full and detailed one later!

I'm so glad you're among our bloggy friends now!

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Lauren & Cupcake said...

SO happy to hear your wonderful news! Tomorrow I will relocate you on the blogroll to waiting for trip #2. Have a safe trip home!

Best Wishes to the both of you.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Just found your blog. The emotion you show in your posts is just wonderful. So glad you met your son. He sounds amazing. Looking forward to following you on the journey to bring him home.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Carolina Mama said...

Congratulations on meeting your son! It is a beautiful story and we wish you the best as we continue to follow along.

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger sandy said...

I just found your blog via Debbie. Congratulations on meeting your son! I am so happy for you and look forward to reading more about your adventures.
Sandy

 
At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave & Anna,
Welcome back home from your 1st trip to Russia!
After 25 hours of travel, enjoy a much needed rest.
Just think, you get to do it all over again on October 23, only this time hopefully to pick up baby.
Congrats,
Mike & Tina

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Anna and Dave for letting me feel a small part of
this journey! See you tomorrow
Love,
Paula

 
At 4:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you! We are also in Russia right now picking up our two. Rejoicing with you,

Suzanne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home